TAD Ranger Hoodie
Well, I was searching for some winter gear to have ready and I found my TAD Ranger Hoodie. I figured it is a good time to write a small review. I love this fleece.
Let's start with the specs:
- Fabric: Polartec Wind Pro with DWR Finish (Durable Water Repellent)
- Fit: Athletic, fitted for perfect movement
- Thumb Hole Cuffs Integrated into the sleeve
- Drop Back Hem for protection
- Pockets: Two Large Chest Pockets with D-Ring and Media Port Pass Throughs, Two Upper Arm Pockets with D-Ring and Media Port Pass Throughs and Velcro for patches, Double Entry Hunter’s Pocket in the back, Left Forearm Pocket for small items. All Pockets Feature Zipper Garages and Reinforced Pull Tabs
- Made in the USA and all zippers are YKK
The Ranger Hoodie is a wind and light snow resistant jacket. The heavy frabric is warm when worn both as an outer layer or as a mid layer. Even in the cold winters of New England and the Mid West, I found myself wearing this fleece with only a midweight baselayer and being warm.
After having worn this fleece on the field last winter and having washed it twice, the Hoodie still looks as good as when it was new.
The fit and the right sized pockets make this fleece a great fit for working in the field. The pockets are built in a way that allow you to organize your gear and sometimes you can just leave your ruck at home.
While I never found any use for the pocket on the back of the Hoodie, I can see how it would be used by a hunter. Some of the guys on the Team store there their pistols when they need to get a little more slick.
The hood is a good thing to have when it's snowing or when it's really cold. The visor really help keeps the snow and wind out of your face.
The best feature of this fleece, outside its warmth, is the fit. It is constructed in a way that does NOT impede any range of movements. Even when you have your thumbs through the thumb holes. I found myself climbing, running, skulldragging and everything in between and I never had to stop to rearrange the fleece because it was in the way. Also, the longer back is a nice feature when you are kneeling, it keeps your lowerback from getting cold or soaked.
Overall, it is a great fleece that will perform again and again in the field and in the city. Yes, it looks good with a pair of khakis too.