Arc'teryx Gamma MX
The Arc'teryx Gamma MX is a mix weather softshell jacket. Arc'teryx marks it as an alpine climbing or backcountry jacket.
- Midweight softshell fabric that is abrassion and wind resistant and has DWR finish
- Brushed thin fleece-like fabric in the interior adds warmth
- Full length front zipper with wind flap
- Brushed collar provides additional warmth
- Two hand pockets and two chest pockets. Also a laminated sleeve pocket for small items
- Hem drawcord can be adjusted to seal out the cold
- Weight: 20.3 oz / 575 g
- Fit: Athletic. Yes, it is a tight fit, order a size larger if you are not athletic
- Fabric: 53% polyester, 27% nylon, 20% spandex
I was looking for a simple jacket that can be worn during intense actitivies and climbing and a friend mentioned this jacket. This is a no-frills jacket, designed to provide basic protection with high levels of breathability and mobility. Perfect.
Softshells like these can repel light-rain, snow and wind and remain very breathable. I've tried this jacket under a heave backpack on a way up a 14K pick and it didn't dissapoint.
The two chest pockets are designed to be opened with the opposing hand, so if you are hanging on your ice axe or holding your weapon, you can open the oppossing pockets without any problems. I've stashed maps, GPS devices and comms. Though I must say that this is not a "tactical" jacket, so if you wear a vest those pockets will be gone.
The cuffs fit tight without being too restrictive. They seal the wind and the slide nicely inside gloves.
The interior is brushed and provides a good level of warmth. It's not a fleece or insulated jacket, but on the Fall or early Spring, you can wear this jacket on top of your base layer and call it a day.
Overall I am very happy with it. It was worth investing the money on the jacket.