The Benchmade AFO II is a simple, yet extremely effective knife. I received mine as a present from a Green Beret, and after having used it for a few months on the field, I'm sold.
The AFO features:
- Mechanism: Push Button Automatic
- Action: Automatic-opening
- Blade Steel: 154CM (58-61 HRC)
- Blade Length: 3.56" (9.04cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.124" (3.15mm)
- Open Length: 8.51" (21.62cm)
- Closed Length: 4.95" (12.57cm)
- Handle Thickness: 0.60" (15.24mm)
- Handle Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum
- Weight: 5.80oz. (164.43g)
I've been using and abusing Benchmade knives for a while, and I'm always impressed with the design, quality and performance on the field.
First, the AFO II is an upgrade to the AFO I, with an improved opening and bigger push button. This knife was designed from the beginning to serve the armed forces and emergency response personnel.
It's a relatively light-weigh knife, in part, I think, due to the handle material. This same handle material and design allows for easy knife cleaning and overall maintenance.
I recently had the chance to take this knife to the field, in cold weather, and while I didn't use the knife as a defense weapon, I had used it as my main blade for everything during that trip.